Saturday, 14 January 2012

My Background

So, I'm going to give this a go. If nobody reads it, then nevermind. I want to just have written down my little story about how I go about designing a football shirt for a professional football team.

Bit of background I suppose:
I'm a student physics teacher at Newcastle Uni. I graduated from Glasgow Uni with a degree in Avionics in 2009. I've always been an arty so-and-so since I was a kid. I focus on more design sorta things though. I almost did Architecture at uni but couldn't be arsed with the 7 years.

As a kid, my main two things I doodled were stadiums and football kits. These days, I doodle stadiums on Google SketchUp and I design football kits for Kilmarnock Football Club.

They way I got in to designing kits involved a very fortunate series of events:
In early 2009, I was just doing my usual thing of photoshopping up some ideas and sticking them up on the Kilmarnock fan's forum. The club had just taken the unusual step of starting to manufacture their own kits under their own brand, "1869". The kits themselves are actually manufactured by a 3rd party company called "Vision." It was them who got in touch with me after seeing my ideas on the fan''s forum.

They dropped me an email saying that they had seen my designs and were very impressed. They had already sorted out the home kit for the 2009-2010 season so couldn't use my ideas, but asked me if I could come up with a few designs for t-shirts and stuff for the club shop. I was obviously delighted and said yes. I met up with the owner of Vision a few days after where he brought along loads of fabric samples and a few prototype shirts for me to have a look at and give my input. I showed him my ideas for the t-shirts I'd designed and he was really pleased with what I'd done.

The next bit had my knees all wobbly. He said that the club had just started on the away top for the next season. They had a colour scheme and some rough ideas, but they wanted me to take that and come up with some concepts for the away shirt. They had said to me "white, with some blue detailing and gold piping." Easy enough, I went home and knocked up a few ideas within a couple of hours. Some were a bit more experimental than others, but I had a nice safe one that I thought they might pick. And they did.

So, for the 2009-10 season. They Kilmarnock away top was designed by me. A proper childhood fantasy come true.

Next season, home and away shirts. Both my ideas, my designs. That away top is still the away shirt for this season. The home top, I had nothing to do with. I had moved down to Derby and was a bit busy, and so, out of the loop a bit.

But anyway, that takes us up until about now. It seems as if I am going to be involved with next seasons shirts, so, my intention is to keep a blog of what happens during the process of designing a top.

No comments:

Post a Comment